Thursday, September 22, 2005

Old Testament Interpretation

Tim has recently been making some noise, both on and off his blog, around the issue of authority and the Old Testament. I have been struggling with the problem of how the OT text can be interpreted today. While I like the idea of reading the OT within a narrative context (see Tim’s post), I don’t see how setting it in the context of a story makes interpretation any easier. There is still a gap between the then and now that makes appropriation difficult. If we read the text as it’s contemporaries would have read it, then we lack application today; yet if we read it with today in mind, we run the risk of distortion.

One of my lecturers has used the analogy of a young couple looking to rent a flat to describe the dilemma. There is a tension between the original state of the property as the lease agreement was signed, and the degree to which the couple may alter the flat to make it their own. A subjective reading of the OT takes the view of the tenant, but when does the re-decorating of the original become a distortion and not an enhancement. A more objective reading would take the view of the landlord; that the apartment should stay as originally designed without any alterations or modifications, leaving the tenants without a homely environment.

In fact, this is not a problem only for the OT. To a lesser degree, we have a similar appropriation gap with the New Testament texts. What are peoples thoughts on how to solve/ live with this problem?

3 comments:

Tim Lovell said...

The interpretation of the Old Testament is a really interesting one I reckon. Because while we're digging around trying to put the passage in its historical context to interpret it correctly, it seems that the NT authors had no such problems. They freely use OT passages miles out of context. I guess they didn't have the problems we have with interpretation. I like what Tim said about its authority coming from the fact that it is a story of our roots. But it is a very difficult question. I've got a copy of Tom Wrights book so I'll have a read, and a bit more of a think. It would be good if we could keep this thread going for a bit methinks. Although its still not as good as my UFO one.

Tim said...

I've ripped out my OT from my bible but I've kept Psalms just coz it's nice. Oh sorry thats the Gideons not me!
Another thing to pop into the discussion is that the Bible is not just there for the pleasure of scholars like me! I think that even simpletons like Ben might just be able to understand it. Often we go too deep into verses/passages when they are meant to be read simply.

Jon said...

Tim Lovell, the NT authors do seem to be a bit 'free' with their use of the OT, although I have heard contrary and will spend the weekend reading about/pondering this one. I won't post again for a few days to leave this post up to try and encourage some further discussion. When it disappears, maybe you could add some thoughts to your blog.

Tim Oakes, this problem only arises when we read the bible as individuals. If we read it as a community of faith, then those who have studied can help those who have not. This doesn't just apply to living folks either, we have a wealth of interpretations from all sections of church history available to us. While I believe anyone can read the text for themselves, interpretation should never be done in a vaccuum.