Friday, June 16, 2006

A few little things....

After recieving some abuse for not posting for a while a thought I should do an update.

Just started the NVQ section of my probation qualification. This basically means that I will be spending hours and hours collating and numbering evidence over the coming months. Joy!

Went surfing for the first time in four years last Sunday. We headed for Llangennith hoping to find some lovely clean and small summer surf. Instead I got battered in 3-4 foot heavy waves for two hours. Didn't get out the back and resigned myself to fooling around in the white water. Things did get better though. On the way home we stopped off at Caswell and spent the last hour in 1.5ft waves which meant I got to ride a few before returning home absolutely knackered.

A question: How on earth can you justify preaching a health and wealth, faith based message to the homeless, the mentally ill and substance abusers?

And finally....

Scrivner sent me an email a while ago telling me it would be a good idea to repost a theological worldview quiz thing I did a while back. Well the quiz is here, and my results were

Emergent/Postmodern

89%

Neo orthodox

86%

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan

79%

Roman Catholic

61%

Reformed Evangelical

32%

Modern Liberal

32%

Classical Liberal

29%

Charismatic/Pentecostal

14%

Fundamentalist

0%



I read the blurb about what that means I should believe but I don't think it's completely accurate. I'm also suprised by the 61% Catholic.

12 comments:

Tim said...

Vegetarianism has hit you hard. 3-4 foot is tiny and I wouldn't even get out of bed for that! Be a real man and eat meat again!

Jon said...

Tim, you clearly have never surfed. With your wimpy arms you wouldn't last in 1ft waves.

Tim said...

I've been born and breed in cornwall - probably our national surfing capital. I was surfing before you could even say vegetarian gimp boy. If you want lessons give me a shout!

Tim Lovell said...

I am currently locked in a titanic battle with t'other Tim, but I feel that I must down my weapons for a period as him ripping it out of veggie boy is well funny.

It's true

Jon said...

I already have a more than able teacher thank you very much.

if you really are that good, then I do believe we should make a trip to the beach some time soon, or will you wimp out of that like you have done my many offers of a boxing match!

jodes da princess said...

you can never justify a health and wealth teaching.

it amazes me u still spell my name wrong, just copy the correct spelling on your links!

jodes da princess said...

that was jon

Tim said...

Jon Jon Jon. The boxing match is on for france. I've booked a ring in the nearby town of Annices (don't know how to spell it) and I'm currently in training by eating two chickens a day and am going to up it to a cow a week within a few days!

As for surfing, I retired a few years ago when all the hassle from sponsors got too much for me. I just surf for the love of the waves and when competition and money get in the way of that I had to step down.

Andy said...

I've been away from the blogs for a while but was stirred into action by the Base Jumping game - amazing!

I did this test ages ago and came out something like 96% emergent/postmodern whereas my results are now:

Neo orthodox 93%

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 89%

Emergent/Postmodern 82%

Charismatic/Pentecostal 54%

Fundamentalist 54%

Roman Catholic 43%

Modern Liberal 39%

Classical Liberal 29%

Reformed Evangelical 25%

There are some fairly lame questions in there though - particularly the ones about worship where the definitions of those answering the questions will vary widely.

jodes da princess said...

Emergent/ postmodern 89%

Classical Liberal 75%

Modern Liberal 64%

Neo orthodox 43%

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 36%

Roman Catholic 21%

Charismatic/Pentecostal 4%

Reformed Evangelical 4%

Fundamentalist 0%

Yes, thats 0% fundamentalist. who'da thunk it. I think the 21% catholic is genetic, havent said too many hail marys lately. I'm currently way too hungover to be a reformed evangelical. so I think its fairly accurate.

who the hell is bishop spong?

Jon said...

Classical liberals believe in universal human experience as the foundation for religious knowledge. They therefore interpret the Scriptures and doctrines in light of this experience. Modern liberals switch it around and explain the world in light of the Scriptures.

Neo-Orthodoxy theology started with Karl Barth and I'm not to sure of the details. What I do know is that he sees Jesus as the ultimate self-revelation of God in light of which all the rest of Scripture needs to be interpreted. He also has some pretty clever ideas about the bible as becoming the word of God.

This might be rubbish, it's what I vaguely remember from college.

Andy said...

Yeah that's pretty much my layman's understanding too Jon.

I don't know much about him but Bishop Spong is an interesting and often controversial bishop (may be retired now?) in the North Eastern US. He served his apprenticeship in the South where he sought to build relationships with black and white people and break down segregation in churches and religious institutions. He put pressure on those within his congregation or were law makers and enforcers to treat black people with respect.

As his career progressed he became the first Bishop to ordain a homosexual minister and has advocated on behalf of homosexuals in the church since.

As such he has been quite a divider of opinion.