Thursday, December 07, 2006

Psychology and Spirituality

I've had a couple of conversations recently that have got me thinking again about the issue of how to approach life when you hold a set of beliefs that have wide lifestyle implications. In the environment I grew up in it was generally emphasised that the starting point for life should be working through your beliefs and values and then letting them naturally incarnate as concrete actions. The concept of freedom and ensuring that all actions were natural expressions of an inward desire was very important. Any suggestion of imposing a structure of practices onto life would be met with concern and suspicion as the demon of legalism was lurking round every corner.

I've recently been reading a bit of psychology that I've found helpful in attempting to understand this whole issue.



WARNING: What follows is some seriously amateur psychology.

The perspective that I grew up with seems to broadly reflect the cognitive thread of psychology. Cognitive psychologists see the investigation of the human mind as of paramount importance. In order to understand behaviour, enquiry into the human psyche and the role of cognitive processes in self-regulation and self-perception is deemed to be the starting point. The emphasis here is clearly on the interior over the exterior.

Behavioural psychologists, on the other hand, emphasise the importance of the immediate environment on behaviour as opposed to the interior workings of the mind. This perspective sees behaviour as driven by exterior controls and not internal values or beliefs.

During the mid-1970's, there began to emerge a psychological discipline that sought to combine the previously distinct threads under the banner of cognitive-behaviourism. This approach emphasised that human activity consists of three modalities; thoughts, feelings and behaviour. These modalities are believed to be inseperable, interlinked and interlocked. There is therefore an equal weighting placed on both internal and external processes in relation to human action.

In relation to my own spirituality, I find the cognitive-behavioural approach to be very useful. This allows me to reflect on the logic and implications of my beliefs and act accordingly in my everyday life. However, it also encourages me to put in place specific practices and disciplines that I do whether I feel like it or not. While I would have once seen this as shallow empty ritual, I now recognise that these practices can actually have a forming effect on my thoughts and emotions.

What do you reckon?

9 comments:

Tim Lovell said...

I'd love to swan in and disagree with you Jon, but unfortunately, I fully agree with you.

Bummer.

Jon said...

It's great to agree.

Tim Lovell said...

Scriv, why are you so offended/ afraid/ threatened by male affection? Is there something that you aren't admitting?

You should have seen Trev and Rob at my stag, you'd have been physically sick. I certainly was.

Tim Lovell said...

Well, you'll be pleased to hear that I won the poker! Can't believe it myself. Me and Jon in the final, and I blow him out of the water!

It was a really good weekend, from the dogs on the Friday (when I won nothing), laser quest on the Saturday (when I was hampered by a rather cumbersome wedding dress), to watching Arsenal (not fun, we lost to Bolton), then watching Trevor be excellent at golf, then the poker, which after the bad luck I had had, I think I deserved to win.

Missed you though mate, hope the wedding was good.

jodes da princess said...

it actually sounds a lot like the wedding really, there were a lot of similar elements, a wedding dress, talk about football and golf, men playing poker. no dogs or lasers though. but imagine that! that'd be an awesom wedding.

just to claw back to the original point, Jon m, I am not a big fan of ritual or structure (oh how I surprize you all) I can see how for some it can be helpful, but for me it always becomes a chore, whether it be praying, excercising, washing up, going to work. I guess the hippy mentality stretches to more than just eating lentils. I'm a free spirit man...

Jon said...

I bet you've got at least some rituals that you deem positive.

Also, the fact that it does become chore is part of the point for me. However I'm feeling I do it because I recognise it is important. It is very counter to the consumer mentality that is all about us and our needs.

Anonymous said...

Jon you need to celebrate the 25th november.

tim the wedding was good thanks.

it was gay they clashed though mate, was really looking forward to it.

In the end me and some mates played poker late after the wedding. I too won. become a hell of a lot better since my stag!

got my first monthly poker night tomorrow evening. me and 8 lads. and a semi-impressive £45 pot. should be a laugh. got a 600 piece chip set and plastic cards for the event....war will be had.

Jon said...

The problem I have with the 25th November thing is that it doesn't make sense in a British context; it's an American invention that is trying to make a statement on the biggest spending day in the American calender. The symbolism is completely missed over here.

hannah said...

Brushing your teeth is a pretty good ritual. Not everyone's learnt it though.

I think I was brought up with quite a good balance of internal values and external discipline. My personality pushed me down the line of discipline but that eventually just got too hard. I think we need both but probably will lean towards one or the other. My take on it would be to work at whichever one we find most difficult.